I’ve written a few documents which focus on different areas of harmonica instruction. I share these with my private students and they’re here so hopefully others will benefit too. If you spot any factual errors or other silliness please let me know. Otherwise, enjoy, and I hope you find something useful.
- Anatomy of a Harmonica
A brief look at the harmonica itself for beginners.
- Practicing for Success, Part One.
A guide to practicing effectively.
- Harmonica Microphone Primer.
A dive into the world of Amplified harmonica. All about harmonica microphones.
- Folk Songs For Beginner Harmonica Players
Easy and fun folk songs tabbed for beginners.
- How to Improvise Blues Harp Solos
An introduction to David Barrett’s chorus form concept. A very cool method of using repetition to create memorable solos on the fly.
- Three Approaches to the IV Chord
Smarten up your solos by approaching the IV chord with some purpose.
- Harmonica Mic Primer
An introduction do amplified harmonica. All about harmonica microphones.
- Notes, Scales and Positions on the Harmonica
A brief primer on the notes on your harmonica, how they got there and how they work in the first three positions.
- Theory Quick Reference for Blues Harmonica
Includes many essential and common scales as well as position references etc.
- Essential Techniques for Blues Harmonica
Description of the key techniques for a fat Chicago Blues sound.
- Slang Terms for Harmonica
A list of playful monikers which have been applied to the harmonica.
- Modes of the Major Scale
Quick reference table.
- Scale Construction
Quick reference. Building common scales.